The History of The Penventon Park Hotel
Situated on the outskirts of Redruth, a popular town in Cornwall, lies the luxurious Georgian mansion that has come to be known as The Penventon Park Hotel.
In the eighteenth century, The Penventon Park Hotel was primarily known as ‘Parkanhal’.
The mansion was originally designed and constructed by John Penberthy-Magor in the early nineteenth century. The building was established on the original foundations and cellars of the building demolished in 1780.
Once the build was complete, it became the property of John Penberthy-Magor himself, and also that of Sir Molesworth St Aubyn of West Cornwall.
The Penventon House, then referred to as ‘Parkanhal’, became widely known for its socialising aspects; the large grounds were perfectly situated for members of the community and local businesses to attend several different types of events.
A local man, John Penberthy-Magor was a partner in the neighbouring brewing company, later to be referred to as ‘Redruth Brewery’. The business of the brewery was kept in line by John Penberthy-Magor’s sons, John and Reuben, along with the Davey family of Redruth and Bochym Manor, situated in Helston. John and Reuben resided at the Penventon House, where they later lived with their father.
Presently, the Penventon Park Hotel has a collection of ten bedrooms dedicated to being known as the ‘Penberthy-Magor Suites’.
Although currently not in use, there are prevailing intentions to regenerate and restore the brewery buildings to create a Cornish archive centre on the site of the former brewery. The centre will house the largest collection of material relating to Cornwall’s history and heritage, including rare printed books, photographs, maps, plans and archaeological records.
Sir Molesworth married a young daughter of St Aubyn, a famous South Cornwall family. Although happily married, Sir Moleworth’s estate was situated in the North of Cornwall. Due to the old-fashioned travel solutions of the mid-nineteenth century, the journey from the South of Cornwall to the North of Cornwall, would have been too long for regular commuting. Sir Moleworth’s new wife wanted to reside nearer to her immediate family and therefore, evidently, Parkanhal was acquired as the newly-wed’s marital home. Subsequently, Parkanhal was re-named ‘The Penventon’; meaning ‘top of the valley’.
The residents of the recently named ‘The Penventon’ partook in the purchasing of nearby land, causing the expansion of the estate, occupying the West side of Redruth.
At this moment in time, Redruth was acclaimed as a ‘world centre’ of metal production and the successive trading of these metals. This was this case for over 2000 years. Furthermore, a mass of the tin and lead produced during this time in Redruth, was in fact used to build a piped water supply in Pompeii, a popular city in the South of Italy. This being over two thousand years ago, Pompeii was considered to be the first city to have a functioning piped water supply.
Between 1867 and 1967, The Penventon hosted the presence of two new occupants.
In 1867, The Penventon became the property of John Hayle, JP: a county magistrate. John Hayle remained an occupant of The Penventon for the next twenty-six years.
Shortly after this, Sir Arthur and Lady Edith Carkeek took over the residence of The Penventon house. The Penventon became frequented with wealthy and influential local, titled families, who enjoyed attending garden events at the grounds,
consisting of tea treats, the playing of instrument by a local band and marquee events.
Sir Arthur and Lady Edith were the last residents to occupy The Penventon as a private home. Unfortunately, their wealth was hindered in the infamous depression of 1934. The Penventon, now vacant, was used for government purposes up until the early 1960’s.
1968 to the Present…
In 1968 David, Poala, George and Joan Pascoe purchased The Penventon, and the surrounding grounds, and after extensive work, it later opened as a hotel.
The Penventon Park Hotel enters into 2014 remaining under the ownership of the Pascoe family with Aaron and Mark Pascoe, along with their wives, Laura and Juliet at the helm, guiding The Penventon Park Hotel into the future, as per our motto, “Love the past, live the present and embrace the future”.
Written by Sophie Pascoe
(Member of the Pascoe Family)